Sunday, 04 April 2010

Sense and Sensibility

Since that thing down on the side of my blog says that I'm Elinor Dashwood, I thought it appropriate that I review a Jane Austen. Unsurprisingly I picked Sense and Sensibility. This novel ties with Persuasion for my favourite Jane Austen. Sense and Sensibility is the story of two sisters, Elinor and Marianne (there's a younger sister, Margaret, who is almost a non-character except in the 1995 adaptation). Elinor represents sense, she is responsible and always does her duty. Marianne represents sensibility (closer to sensitivity than sensible), she is emotional and open, everyone knows how she feels and she indulges her emotions at every possible opportunity. The novel is the journey that the sisters take to discovering a middle ground. Marianne learns to appreciate the feelings of other and be less selfish. Elinor learns to occasionally let people in and not always hide her feelings from those close to her. This was the first novel Austen had published and the language reflects that. In places the language is very dense and it's difficult to get into the book, unless you appreciate the language. This is, however, one of Austen's most convoluted and intriguing romances and, in my opinion, one of her best.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

I whole-heartedly agree. (I'm "Marianne Dashwood," by the way.) ;-)