Tuesday, 13 April 2010

The Knocker on Death's Door

So many books, so little time. I should just stop reading for a couple of months, finish up my backlog and then start again. Of course, that's not likely to happen. So I shall just have to deal with the backlog as I reread books. So, on with the first book that I've finished since yesterday (I'll post the book I read this morning later or tomorrow - I have a thesis meeting with Judy later and so might not have the time).

This is a book written by the author of the Chronicles of Cadfael series, Ellis Peters. While looking for some information to link the title to, I see that this is the tenth book in the series about Inspector Felse, though it's the first time I've seen (or read) one. It's a fun, if rather predictable, story. I will certainly be looking out for others in the series. The characters that have stuck with me so far are not the ones that will be seen in other novels of the series. The detective is a rather shadowy presence, whereas the principal villagers involved in the tale have much more life to keep them in the mind. It was fun, but not necessarily a pinnacle of excellence and though I'd recommend them if you enjoy the genre, they wouldn't be my first choice for a new reader of crime fiction.

No comments: