Monday, 05 April 2010

The Lord of the Rings: a Reader's Companion

This is a must for anyone who is interested in the way in which Tolkien wrote LotR, as well as anyone interested in extraneous information. The two authors are two of the best Tolkien scholars, I gather, so it's a very informative read. It's a hefty tome in and of itself, so trying to manage it and my enormous copy of LotR together is a bit difficult (I've never tried it with Panda in the house, I suspect it would be a complete failure). It's a fascinating read. Information varies from explanations of the text to suppositions of inspiration and influence to discussions on Tolkien's writing process. Probably not a book that everyone needs to own (though I keep seeing it at every book sale, so theoretically everyone could own it) but it's one I'm very pleased to have on my shelf.

No comments: