Friday, 09 April 2010

Saint Francis of Assisi

This is the biography by GK Chesterton I mentioned earlier. My copy is the updated edition published in 2008, I have no idea when it was originally published (though I imagine I could find out without too much trouble - wikipedia says 1923) but it is very much in an old-fashioned style. It's well written, well researched and everything else one can expect from a biography by Chesterton. Chesterton was a Christian Apologist, which for a very long time I thought meant that he was apologising for Christianity and the horrors committed in its name. I have a better understanding of it now. As one can imagine, his books reflect his views and this one is no different. It is, however, a very readable biography of a man who, if other biographies I've read are right, was quite a radical in his day. It also interests me because Saint Francis was born not long after Cadfael 'lived', though in Europe rather than England. It gives me an interesting perspective on history to contrast the life of the real man with the life of the fictional monk.

No comments: