Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Healing Yoga

I have decided that instead of taking my sore neck and back to yoga this evening, I shall take them to a warm bath instead. This does not, however, mean that I don't think yoga would be helpful. It just means that I have arthritis and rather overdid yesterday's yoga and so need to rest. I might do a bit of stretching before I go to bed to help the process though, and any of that stretching will come out of this book. I do yoga because my rheumatologist told me that I needed to do light, gentle exercise, particularly stretching. This book is particularly helpful when doing yoga at home. It gives daily routines that one can do, which last from five to twenty minutes, depending on how much time you have available. It also lists each 'common ailment' and gives the stretches that are best for people suffering from that. So, having a sore back today I would do some curl ups, setu bandha (bridge) and vatayanasana (knee hug). It gives clear instructions with photos as well as providing alternatives, easier ways and more advanced ways of doing the posture. It also tells you why the stretch is good for that particular ailment, which I particularly appreciate. And this is not your usual non-scientific nonsense, this talks about strengthening muscles, stretching muscles, your joints, your organs and the circulation of blood around your body. There is some woo, but it's in small doses and, given the (as far as I know) demonstrated benefits of meditation and breathing practices on things like anxiety, depression and stress-related stuff, I'm willing to forgive.

In short, my favourite yoga book.

2 comments:

sfauthor said...

Nice posting. Do you know about these yoga books?

http://www.yogavidya.com/freepdfs.html

akika said...

I didn't. Thank you for the link.