Wednesday, 28 April 2010

Bel Canto

So, yesterday I took the children's books off their shelves (made up of wooden boxes) and moved those out to the hall, where the phone is. Bum is happy because the phone cord is now hidden and I am happy because I'm slowly turning the entire house into a giant library. I moved biography and sci-fi/fantasy out into the hall and completely (well, sort of) rearranged the books left in my study. I'm much happier with the way things are now. Particularly since I have a lot more space to fill with books. I've also updated my wishlist, which is now eight pages long (two columns per page, I don't even want to imagine what it would be like to print it if it were one column per page). This is all in preparation for my visit to CAFDA next week. I'm due to get blood tests and I'm hoping that CAFDA will provide a decent selection for me to plunder as a reward.

Anyway, this book was a pleasure to read. It was a gift to me from Bum's parents and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hadn't seen much opera at that stage, but since it was only obliquely about opera that was okay. The book is about a bunch of opera lovers held hostage ... that really doesn't do the plot justice. It's a beautifully written book that has stuck with me, though I'm yet to reread it. I think I'm worried that it'll be less magical now that I've seen some of the operas it mentions.

It's one of those books that I cannot recommend highly enough.

No comments: