Saturday, 13 March 2010

Tom's Midnight Garden

Another thing I'm particularly fond of is children's books. I presumably fell in love with them as a child. Quite possibly the fact that every time I started reading one of my parents' grown-up books I got into trouble (presumably due to the fact that I was under ten and there was violence and sex involved) cemented that love. Whatever the reason, I have a collection of children's books (the biggest section in my modest library) and every time I go (book) shopping I'm sure to add to that collection. CAFDA tends to have a large selection of what I'm looking for. I also find all sorts of new things there.

One of my recent 'new' finds was Tom's Midnight Garden, by Philippa Pearce. I have to say that this book did not have an auspicious beginning. The beginning was, in fact, boring. But I pressed on, certain that the good part was coming. And it did. This is a charming book that introduces the concept of time travel to children, without mentioning time travel at all. The ending is blazingly obvious as an adult, but children might not find it so. The book touches lightly on serious subjects, making them accessible and thought-provoking without making it clear exactly what it's doing. A definite start for any future fantasy-readers.

No comments: