Tuesday, 23 March 2010

The Discworld

On my last visit to CAFDA, I had the good fortune to spot Reaper Man, by Terry Pratchett. What, exactly, it was doing in the children's section rather than the fantasy section is beyond me, but I grabbed it up as soon as I could.

I love the Discworld series. I love some characters more than others (I have to say that I frequently find the Wizards very irritating) and there are some books that I can do without. However, every Discworld book I've ever read has belonged to someone else, usually my dad. Now, I have the beginnings of my own collection.

I have to say that reviewing the Discworld series seems somewhat superfluous. How can there be people in the world that have not read and enjoyed this series? Granted, the humour may not be to everyone's taste (like my mother, for instance), but they're just such fun! Particularly when they parody particular real-world myths, stories and other things. I'm particularly fond of those books. Also, any book that has significant periods of Death, Tiffany Aching and other witches, the Wee Free Men, etc. I'm also fond of the City Watch.

In short, before I go gushing off again, I shall say that these are just books of fun. A quick afternoon read of happy absurdity before returning to more mundane or serious matters.

No comments: