Friday, 26 March 2010

Journeying with God

Yay! I now average one post a day for the month of March! I don't know why I've been aiming at that, but I have. So now I have reached this milestone, I can't say I care that much.

This book (I'll put a picture up once I've found my battery charger, so that I can actually take a picture, since the internet only has ugly, fuzzy images), is not one I would normally buy or read. Nor, for that matter, would I take even a second look at it. I was attracted to it by the cover. So I picked it up and read the back of the book. I'm not even sure I got past the first line ('For many people the thought of a thirty-day silent retreat would be anathema...') before I decided to buy it. A silent retreat has always appealed to me, in quite the same way as the religious life appeals to me. I think it's the reclusive part of me, that would like to withdraw from society and just be left to her own devices (with a few certain necessaries, such as books and [now] Panda).

Anyway, this is the story of a priest (I think) who goes on this retreat after he breaks his leg. It's a wonderful account of the spiritual, mental and emotional growth that you can make on such a retreat, regardless of whether or not you choose to adopt a religious view of the matter. I do not, but I'd still love to go on a retreat (though I think I'd start with a day, then a weekend and slowly build my way up) to experience it.

2 comments:

phillygirl said...

Hey Peeble. If you're keen to do something like that, you should check out The Buddhist Retreat Center in KZN.

:)

akika said...

The problem with that, is it's in KZN. There's a convent in Constantia that does them, so I'll look into that at some point.