Thursday, 25 March 2010

The Anatomy of Villainy

I'm not sure what button I pressed, but somehow I managed to publish this post after writing 'The' in the title field. Weird.

Another special find from CAFDA. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I'm always interested in books on why people do the things they do and criminals are particularly interesting. I disagree with many things that this author says. For a start, I disagree with his assumption that a purely Christian society would be idyllic. Once you realise that his stand-point is one of middle-of-the-road, fence-sitting Christianity, he makes some very interesting points. Of course, this was published in 1950, so we can't really expect him to meet our requirements for scientific rigour and so on.

This is an interesting book, with an interesting conclusion on what makes someone a 'villain' and why this societal construct endures. Favourite quote: "a monster who ate fried baby for breakfast".

No comments: