Saturday, 13 March 2010

Mere Christianity

So, in my bid to understand the religious, I occasionally go into that scary bookstore and see if they have anything interesting or informative. I'm particularly partial to biographies (I'll get to those sooner or later, I'm sure), but on one of my forays into Christian literature, I happened across CS Lewis's Mere Christianity. If I knew nothing of Lewis but his abysmal Narnia series, I would not have looked twice at this book. However, I knew that he was a friend of devout Catholic and admired (by me) author JRR Tolkien. I knew that he had been an atheist who, (as I understand it) converted to Christianity as a result of religious discussion with Tolkien and other friends. Button informed me that his writings on religion (particularly The Great Divorce, though I haven't come across that one yet) would interest me greatly.

So I bought this book. And then I read this book. And I was almost converted. This is the most eloquent argument in favour of Christianity and explaining Christianity that I've seen. This is the only explanation of Christianity that makes sense - by which I mean the doctrines and whatnot, not the fact that loads of people believe it without understanding it. Of course, I was not completely converted, unwilling atheist that I am. This did explain a lot and, if you'd like to be converted, or convert someone, I cannot recommend this book highly enough. If you'd like to understand how people can believe in Christianity, this is the book to read. Though, I grant you, most 'Christians' barely know what they believe and certainly don't understand how or why. But perhaps I'm a little cynical. (If you're looking for reasons not to believe Christianity, I suggest Mike Earl, a complete git, but one who makes a good point nonetheless.)
The point is that this is an informative book, that makes as good a read now as it was good to listen to back around World War II.

No comments: