Sunday, 01 January 2012

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe


I saw the movie many years ago and had no idea it was based on a book until fairly recently. Since then it has been on my to-read list and formed part of my birthday gift from Confluence and Hodgestar. Now that I've read it, I'd really like to see the movie again. This is my second book of the year and is my first in the New Author challenge.

I was concerned about how the story would be told because I remember from the movie an awful lot of moving back and forth in time. The novel does this wonderfully. I will suggest that you pay attention to the dates because there is a fair amount of switching around even between the 80s and the past. The characters were very much alive and jumping off the page. The relationships were real particularly the most important two - the one between Ruth and Idgie and the one between Mrs Threadgoode and Evelyn. Some of the more important plot points I didn't remember, but I enjoyed rediscovering them.

It appears that Fannie Flagg (who apparently changed her name from Patricia Neal ... I grant you Fannie Flagg is more memorable, but it's not the name I would have chosen) has written a number of other novels, which I look forward to reading.

No comments: