Sunday, 06 November 2011

Yet more challenges!

The hard part about this challenge, was choosing my theme. Books written before 1960, not a problem. At least two authors, not a problem. Mystery books, not a problem. Picking a theme, a problem! So, because I can't decide, I have decided to do two of the themes!

The first theme I picked was Colourful Crime - 8 books that have a colour in the title. The second theme was Lethal Locations - 8 books about places. I think this'll be fun and I find myself wondering if I have any books I haven't read yet that fit the descriptions.

Lethal Locations:
  1. The Secret of Spiggy Holes by Enid Blyton (1940). As the title suggests, this book is all about Spiggy Holes and what happens there. And children's mystery stories are still mystery stories.
  2. The Secret Mountain by Enid Blyton (1941). This one is about a mountain.
I have plenty of others if you include books I've already read, but I don't really want to do that, so I'll have to be on the look out for these.

Next up is the Medieval Challenge. Twelve books across four categories. I have chosen a provisional list of:
  1. Beowulf (literature).
  2. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer (literature).
  3. The Confessions by St Augustine of Hippo (biography).
  4. The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (allegory).
  5. The Mabinogion (literature).
  6. Le Morte d'Arthur by Thomas Mallory (romance).
  7. The Nibelungenlied (literature).
  8. The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli (philosophy). This is a multi-challenge book and is featured on the classics challenge and the new author challenge as well.
  9. The Poetic Edda (literature).
  10. The Prose Edda by Snorri Sturluson (literature).
  11. The Romance of the Rose by Guillaume de Lorris (allegory).
  12. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (romance).
Of course, my ability to do this hinges on my ability to find English translations of the works. Now I just need to remember to sign up on December 30th.

Next up is the Library challenge. I have three local libraries at the moment, though that might change next year. At the moment my libraries are the UCT Library, the Vredehoek library and the Central Cape Town Library.

Either way, I'm aiming for Level 4, 37+ library books, none of which are rereads.

Closely associated (it uses the same picture so I haven't included a separate one for it), is the Banned/Challenged challenge. Looking at the lists of books, I'm going to read:

  1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. This is a reread, but again a book I haven't read since high school.
  2. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger. This is a multi-challenge book also featured on the new author challenge.
  3. The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald. Another book I read in high school and haven't read since then.
  4. Animal Farm by George Orwell. It's ridiculous that I haven't read this yet. This is a multi-challenge book as Orwell is part of my new author challenge.
  5. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. Another book I read in school. Apparently I went to an awesome school that made us read lots of apparently controversial works. Who knew?
  6. 1984 by George Orwell. This is a multi-challenge book. In addition to Orwell being a new author, this is part of my classics challenge.
  7. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.
  8. Lord of the Flies by William Golding.
  9. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.
  10. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.
  11. The Awakening by Kate Chopin.
  12. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.
  13. Beloved by Toni Morrison.
  14. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.
  15. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. Seriously? This is a challenged book? It's a multi-challenge book, at any rate, being part of my classics challenge.
  16. A Separate Peace by John Knowles.
  17. The Colour Purple by Alice Walker.
  18. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer. This is a multi-challenge work, being featured in the medieval challenge above.
  19. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. This is a multi-challenge item, because Edith Wharton is one of my new authors.
  20. A Room with a View by EM Forster.
  21. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Another multi-challenge work, this is part of the classics challenge.
  22. Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally. Another from the new author challenge.
  23. The Portrait of a Lady by Thomas Hardy. Also from the new author challenge. I think I'm only going to post more titles now if they're already part of another challenge or I already own them, or I'll be here all day.
  24. Sons and Lovers by DH Lawrence.
I guess I'm going to sign up for 37+ and I'll just have to remember to check if the book I'm reading counts as one of them.

Lastly (for today anyway), is this library challenge, which will have main monthly challenges and mini-challenges. And you have to read 12 library books (at least), so just one a month. Seems easy enough.

1 comment:

Bev Hankins said...

Welcome to the Vintage Mystery Challenge! So glad you'll be joining us.