Tuesday, 15 November 2011

What's in a Name?

This is another challenge. It looks like an awful lot of fun and I cannot wait for 2012 so that I can start reading my challenge books! There's no indication that novels are preferred for this challenge, which makes me glad that I didn't start one of my new books yesterday, for it will be perfect for this!

  1. A book that contains a topographical feature in the title. For this, I plan to read Island Magic by Elizabeth Goudge. Island, being the land-form in question, of course. I've read a fair amount of Goudge and enjoy her, but this has been sitting on my shelf a while. Now I'll have a particular reason to bring it down.
  2. A book that contains something you'd see in the sky in the title. For this category I will be reading Human Smoke: the Beginnings of World War II, The End of Civilisation by Nicholson Baker. Smoke is a thing you would see in the sky, and I was planning to read this a little sooner than January (it's the book I bought yesterday), but I shall have to wait. If I can't wait, there's always DH Lawrence's The Rainbow.
  3. A book with a creepy crawly in the title. For this, I will read Gogga Brown: South Africa's Hermit Naturalist by MR Drennan. For those non-South African's among you, a gogga, is an insect of an indeterminate nature. So, really, perfect for this item on the challenge!
  4. A book with a type of house in the title. For this I will read Dickens' Bleak House. This is a multi-challenge book, as it features in one of the classics challenges. I do however have quite a few other books in other challenges that would fit this (The Story of an African Farm, The House of Mirth, Great House, etc), so I might change my mind.
  5. A book with something you'd find in your bag in the title. I may go for Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter for this one, as it is a multi-challenge book, being featured in my new author challenge. Or, perhaps, Thomas Keneally's Schindler's List, also part of the new author challenge. There are many options, but I have not decided.
  6. A book with something you'd find on the calendar in the title. Perhaps Eliot's Middlemarch, as one would find March on the calendar. Perhaps I will even read it in March, for greater amusement. That's also part of the classics challenge, so that's a good choice. Other options are rather thin on the ground at the moment, excluding rereads, so we shall have to wait and see if something more appropriate (or amusing) presents itself.

1 comment:

Beth F said...

Correct -- you can read any genre. Oh I adore some of your picks. I think I have as much fun seeing what people read as I do coming up with the ideas. Have fun!