Wednesday, 23 November 2011

The Romans

This has been sitting on my shelf for a while, and the only reason that I picked it up to read the other day, is the Reading Round Rome challenge, which I have now started. Six more books to go!

This is an interesting introduction to Ancient Rome. It recognises that it cannot cover everything, but highlights the main points in the development and demise of the civilisation. It certainly whet my appetite for more. Unfortunately, while it admits that there were seamier, repellent aspects to Ancient Rome, it mostly glosses over them. I shall have to discover those somewhere else. This book was rather heavy on Roman law and Stoicism, the military and the Senate, but didn't really tell me very much about what life was like for the average Roman on a day-to-day basis through the years, both in the city itself and in the provinces. How did the Roman Catholic religion come to be seen as a different form of Christianity than that of Byzantium or Africa? There are so many questions that this book raises (intentionally or otherwise) that I'm not sure I'll be able to limit my Roman reading to 7 books...

1 comment:

Eibhlin said...

Great to have you on board for the Reading Round Rome Challenge. I've just published a post where anyone who begins before 2012 can link to their reviews, if you wish. I'll put up a new post every month for reviews/links. You're off to a great start!