Saturday, 05 November 2011

Courgette Cookies


This is a recipe from the Riverford Farm Cook Book, one of my favourites. It's kind of like a carrot cake, only with courgettes. If you're from the States or otherwise weird, you would call these zucchini. We also call them baby marrows - being an archaeologist and having excavated cemeteries, baby marrow means something else entirely, so I'm going to stick with courgettes. And when I say cookies, I mean cupcakes, not biscuits (again, clarification for the Americans).

Ingredients:
  • 120g softened butter (they recommend unsalted, I don't bother)
  • 1/2c oil (they recommend sunflower, I use whatever I have)
  • 1/2c sugar (they recommend castor sugar, which I use if I have, otherwise I just use ordinary white/golden brown sugar)
  • 1c soft brown sugar (also called treacle sugar)
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 3/4c cake flour
  • 2t baking powder
  • 4T cocoa
  • 450g courgettes
  • 1t vanilla extract (I usually just pour in some vanilla essence, today I'm actually using extract because I bought some for something else entirely)
First, peel and grate the courgettes. Or find someone to do that for you - there are few things I hate more than grating, so that's what I do. Then put those aside. Next, sift your dry ingredients into a bowl and put that aside as well. Cream together your butter, oil and sugar. Gradually add in the eggs and milk. Fold in the dry ingredients, then the courgettes and vanilla. Don't forget, food always tastes better if it's been tasted along the way, so taste, taste, taste!

Once you're satisfied, spoon the mixture into cookie cups and cook at about 190C for about 15 minutes, until the skewer comes out clean.

Once they've cooled down, it's time for icing (or frosting, in the States). I like vanilla icing with courgette cookies. Take some butter, some milk, some vanilla essence and some icing sugar. Mix them together until you have the right consistency and ice away.

No comments: