Sunday, 06 November 2011

2012 New Author Challenge

Hey look, another challenge! I'm planning to read 15 new-to-me authors in 2012. Given that the challenge mentions novels, I'm going to aim for 15 new-to-me fiction authors, since I'll probably have three times that many in non-fiction. I expect I'll probably read more, but I want to keep all my challenges fairly small (except for the GoodReads total number of books one). So let's see if there are any on my shelves that are new-to-me authors that I can prepare for.

  1. Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy. This is part of one of my classics challenges. It still counts though, as I've never read Hardy.
  2. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I didn't manage to work this into the aforementioned classics challenges, so I shall read it here.
  3. Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe. That's 2 multi-challenge books so far.
  4. 1984 by George Orwell. Like I said, it's shocking that I haven't read it (or any other Orwell, for that matter), so that's 3 multi-challenge books.
  5. The Prince by Machiavelli. 4 multi-challenge books.
  6. Utopia by Thomas More. That's 5 multi-challenge books in total. I think that's okay.
  7. Procession of the Dead by DB Shan. I don't know what this is about, but I vaguely remember buying it at an Exclusive Books sale sometime in the last year.
  8. Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson.
  9. Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally.
  10. The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera.
  11. The Portrait of a Lady and/or The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.
  12. The Shell House by Linda Newberry.
  13. Kine by AR Lloyd
  14. Hood by Stephen R Lawhead.
  15. England, their England by AG Macdonnell.
  16. The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan.
  17. The Constant Gardener by John le Carre.
  18. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See.
  19. The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton. I tried to fit this into the classics challenges, but it didn't happen.
  20. The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty.
  21. 20 000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. I can't believe I haven't read this yet either. I couldn't find a way to fit it into the classics challenges, so it goes here.
  22. Great House by Kate Thompson.
  23. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger. Another one that I couldn't get into the classics challenges.
  24. The Roman Spring of Mrs Stone by Tennessee Williams.
  25. The Story of an African Farm by Olive Schreiner.
  26. A Secret Alchemy by Emma Darwin.
  27. Ring of Bright Water by Gavin Maxwell.
  28. The Invisible Man by HG Wells.
  29. The Totem by David Morrell.
  30. Winifred Foley. I have Back to the Forest, but I want the first book in the series before I read it.
  31. Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte.
Right. Well. Given I have 31 new-to-me authors, whose books are currently sitting on my shelves, I guess I'm going to up that challenge to 50 new-to-me fiction authors in 2012.

No comments: