Wednesday, 18 August 2010

What to do When Someone Dies

I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I got. There's a lyrical quality to the writing that draws you in, makes it easy to share the widow's confusion and the disconnectedness of what's going on. Her struggle to believe what's obvious and her eventual rejection of it is clear. The ensuing bizarre behaviour of the widow, as well as other characters, makes complete sense in the haze of memory and pain that she finds herself in, though there's a voice at the back of your head saying it's madness.

I had the solution before she did, I'm pleased to say, but then I suspect reading mystery novels gives you an edge over mystery novel characters. I was left asking questions at the end (why on earth did Silvio visit her in the hospital?), but I appreciated the fact that the authors didn't feel the need to explain every little detail to the reader.

I'm keeping an eye out for other works from this team.

No comments: