Tuesday, 24 August 2010

The Memory Game

Another picked up in Tokai. This is a beautifully written book about a girl who went missing, twenty-five years ago. She's just been found, buried not far from the front door for all those years. Her family wants to put it behind them. Her best friend can't leave it alone. What follows is an intriguing trawl through dodgy psychotherapy (and some not-so-dodgy), fallible memories, the romanticising of the past and family secrets. What can't Jane bear to remember? Is that even what really happened? Who can she trust?

I enjoyed this book. It's well-written and it's a good story. The problem I'm having with these Nicci French books so far is that while they're interesting mysteries I'm not becoming attached to any of the characters. I'm not invested in the solving of the mystery. Not being able to finish one of these books would not cause me much consternation because there's nothing in the book to hook me in and keep me reading. It's still a good book, that I would happily recommend, but it's not something special.

No comments: