Wednesday, 18 August 2010

As Darkness Falls

Everytime I see the words "Darkness Falls" I think of that X-Files episode. It was my favourite episode for a long time (it may still be). This book is a bit like a Criminal Minds episode, except in Australia, without the FBI and ... actually it's nothing like a CM episode, never mind.

This is a romance novel. It's also a murder mystery, child abduction investigation that is very well written. I'm not usually a big fan of romance novels because they're not very interesting. This, however, is a romance novel in the vein of the In Death series. The romance is important, more important than if it were a sub-plot, but it's not the main focus of the story. Essentially, what the romantic nature of the story does is enable you to see the main characters as more than just detectives. Also, it takes the story past the conclusion of the case and enables greater development of the characters.

In short, Bronwyn Parry has written a fantastic debut novel and I'm dying to get my hands on her next book.

No comments: