Saturday, 24 July 2010

In the Lake of the Woods

This was the book I chose to read on the plane. I had about six other books in my carry-on, for the interminable stop-over in London. Of course, I did next to no reading and so finished this on the second flight when my carry-on was stuck in one of the overheads out of my reach and everyone that might have been helpful was fast asleep.

This was an engaging, if rather confusing read. It jumps all over in time and perspective and the exhaustion resulting from transcontinental travel no doubt dulled my wits (why yes, I have been at the Austen again, however could you tell?). This is a mystery story without a conclusion. A woman disappears. There is a wealth of evidence (both circumstantial and otherwise), but the woman is never found. Theories abound. What really happened? Your guess is as good as mine.

No comments: