Wednesday, 19 May 2010

The Secret of Chimneys

Another Agatha Christie one-off. There are some characters that are known from other books of hers, I'm thinking principally of Superintendent Battle. Apparently the place and some of the characters feature in another book of hers, which I've not yet read. This is a great fun mystery with a couple of murders thrown in for good measure (after all, it doesn't seem quite like an Agatha Christie without at least one murder). The main character is Anthony Cade, a man with almost no past. From early in the book I was convinced he was working for the British Secret Service or some such, simply because I've read a fair number of Christie's books in my time. The plot is slightly too political for my tastes, but otherwise one of her best.

No comments: