Friday, 07 May 2010

Inspector Morse

My Grandma Baggins (I have a picture of her where she looks just like Ian Holm's portrayal of Bilbo - more evidence for my being a hobbit!) used to love watching this on tv. I never really understood it. Who wants to watch some crotchety old man going around bungling up police procedure, which is helpfully dealt with by his faithful by-the-book sidekick, and solving crimes. Then, in the library the other day I picked up The Riddle of the Third Mile. It was fantastic. So, on my recent foray to CAFDA (which was very disappointing, I'm sorry to say), I picked up The Daughters of Cain, which I'm busy working my way through. I had intended to read it yesterday, but I was sick and so slept most of the day.

Anyway, I'm very intrigued by the title, which suggests to me that women are (or a woman is, at the very least) responsible for the death(s) that take place. I don't know for sure, because I haven't gotten very far - it's hard to read when you have to do actual work. I really would like to have more money than I knew what to do with so that I could (a) build my library house (I discovered a flaw in the plans yesterday - I need some sort of laundry area) and (b) not have to work when I don't feel like it.

But, back on topic. I'm now interested in seeing some of the Inspector Morse episodes, because I have some understanding of the character now. It's one thing to watch someone acting in a certain way - you understand certain things, depending on the script, direction and acting, but not others. To have read about the character and seen into his mind, as it were, makes your understanding of him so much deeper. I'd love to see some of the episodes. Also, some of the Agatha Christie's would be nice. I've only seen one or two (though, not the ones with Angela Lansbury [who I see is just over a year younger than my Grandma Baggins and going to be 85 this year! Hard to believe it] as Miss Marple, I would keep thinking I was watching Murder, She Wrote!).

Anyway, Inspector Morse is a detective series that I recommend highly! Well worth reading and quite possibly worth watching as well.

No comments: