Monday, 03 May 2010

The Four Loves

Ah, CS Lewis. I'm just going to come right out and say it. I cannot stand the Narnia books. I will never review them here (or anywhere else, for that matter) because, despite repeated attempts throughout childhood and adulthood, I have never finished the things. Lewis's non-fiction, however, is another story. I've already discussed Mere Christianity, which attempts (sort of) to move from non-belief to belief. This book presupposes a Christian belief. It is, however, possible to substitute most of the Christian bits for whatever it is that you believe or, even better, to just ignore them altogether. When you do, what you're left with is an interesting discussion of the nature of love and the four different aspects that love can take.

It's definitely worth reading, regardless of the fundamentally Christian nature.

(For those of you who're interested, I picked this up at what seemed to be a mostly Christian/Religious book stall at Greenmarket Square on Sunday).

No comments: