Friday, 21 May 2010

The Alchemist

This is a book that I'm being paid to read and summarise. This is not a book that I would have chosen to read all by myself. I dislike allegory and I particularly dislike spiritual allegory. I've always considered it rather insulting, rather like saying "Well, you'll never understand this, so let me dumb it down for you."

This is the story of a shepherd boy and his 'Personal Legend'. Basically, what this book seems to be saying is that if you follow your intuition and behave in an extremely superstitious manner all your dreams will come true. None of which I believe. I do believe that you must be prepared to take detours and so on while trying to reach your goals. Of course, I also believe that you should make decisions based both on rationality and on your own desire. I do not believe that you should allow anyone (regardless of who they might be) to dictate your life to you.

The one message of this book that I do like is the one that says: you will not be a fulfilled person if you do not make every effort to follow your dreams. That is something I can agree with.

1 comment:

Viola said...

I absolutely agree with you. I really don't see why Coelho receives so much praise. This was a very simplistic book, I thought, and turned me off reading any more of his books.