Thursday, 20 November 2008

The Stench of Flesh

The THF seems to have done the job. I shall commence freeze-drying later this afternoon, weigh them in the morning and then it'll be back to the milling. The reason that I'm going to start freeze-drying this afternoon, rather than this morning, is that they're going to freeze-dry overnight and I've got to be out of here at around 15:00 today. And there's no reason to have the machine going for quite that length of time. Sadly, the THF doesn't seem to have had much of an effect on Wendell. I suspect he just needs more serious milling.

After the freezer was cleaned out, I seem to have lost what was left of my cow bone. Very sad, particularly since I need some of that cow bone now. So I stopped by PnP yesterday to get some more. I spent the whole of yesterday attempting to deflesh what has turned out to be mostly useless bones, not least because I'm not very good at defleshing. It stinks and the abundance of fat and water resulted in more than a few cuts on my fingers. I guess I should be glad I couldn't find a scalpel and had to use an ordinary knife. Last time I had a femur [a whole one!], this time it's a bit of rib. That's currently defatting. What I need that for, is to test the collagen extraction method we use. When I did my first test of the method [with the original cow bone] the collagen yields were very low, which suggests a need for less severe acid treatment. So I need powder to test that on. So I need to make powder.

In other news, I now have the recipe for Red Velvet Cake, which shall hopefully be made for Saturday. I'm currently in the mood to bake. Probably because I really enjoy doing it and I have space and equipment now. I also have finally taken my recipe book out of my mother's enormous collection and so can actually make more than the few things I have memorised. So, ingredient shopping this afternoon [and tomorrow and Saturday, I suspect].

No comments: