Monday, 25 February 2008

Dragon Weekend

This morning, we eventually left the house and headed off to UCT. Now that Pig's rib has finished defatting, it's time to move on to other parts of the preparation process. Today, PigR is freeze-drying, tomorrow the milling will begin. Nova, the Swedish exchange student came along to watch. Apparently their department is almost completely theoretical and they don't do any of this practical stuff, so she likes to see what's happening, how things get done and she even occasionally lends a hand where necessary. She's very cool, we all like her and want to keep her.

Yesterday, I stopped by the Waterfront to do some shopping with Button. We have no food in the house. We didn't end up doing any shopping, but we did see my cousin Meggles Dragonboating. We arrived at the start of a race and, by virtue of some guy screaming 'DSK', were able to work out that we had arrived to see Meggles actually racing. We were at the bridge when she passed underneath and got to see her in action. It was very cool and we got to chat to her for a little bit afterwards. They are a junior team [18 years and under] and compete with senior teams [over 18s]. Apparently there was only one team there that they couldn't beat. Sadly, I forgot my camera, so no pictures. After that, we had surprise sushi, so named because not only was I not expecting it, I didn't even know I was hungry. Then, there was no time for shopping before Button's meeting, so we headed home.

On Saturday, I was at the Tutor Training Workshop. The food was good and the Workshop less boring and more fun and useful than I was expecting. Button got home while I was busy. There was supposed to be Jane Austen movie watching, but I was tired and cranky and wanted to be with Button. We later ended up watching anime with Confluence, H* and others. We watched the next 5 episodes of Ergo Proxy. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Then we watched two first episodes that were very pink, involved heart-shaped petals falling all over the place and ... well, certain other things that one should expect from certain types of anime. We did watch the beginning of a different first episode that doesn't fall into any of those categories. It was bad. It was truly awful. The only good part was the sparkly-blue-butterfly-things. There was an awful lot of exposition that blatantly contradicted itself, badly depicted people and horrendous attempts at what I can only presume was meant to be acting.

On Friday, there was Meggles birthday lunch at Rhodes Memorial. She turned 16.

In other news, I have just agreed to tutor a fourth course. Luckily this one doesn't require marking.

No comments: