Monday, 22 October 2007

the clouds are crying

So, stuff has happened. Not much has been happening lately. Friday saw a chemistry test [which I think went reasonably well, but you can never really tell]. Later I had my first acupressure session. That was quite fun, though painful in places. I'm going back this afternoon. Hopefully it will help in the long run.

Friday evening saw zombie games at Simon & Adrianna's with Simon & Adrianna [unsurprisingly] and Kevin and Neil. I wasn't terribly much fun as I took my methotrexate on Thursday and so was very sore on Friday evening. I don't really know how that works, but it does. So mostly I sat around while everyone else played. Button and I left rather early, actually, as I was very sore and he was sufferingly with rather awful hayfever. Apparently Kevin won.

On Saturday, there was some house cleaning, though I didn't do very much of it. Then we went down south, to my parents house. Button went off to the kite festival at Zandvlei, and mom and I went birthday shopping. So now I have a very nice shirt and some summery pants. Of course, it's been miserable weather since then, so I can't wear said summery pants. But sumemr is on it's way...

In the evening, the final Chrysalids LARP happened. It was great! My character [Rachael] is on her deathbed, though of course not literally, or she wouldn't have been at the town meeting. So they somehow organised for a wheelchair, which was great fun. And since I may very well end up in one eventually, it was nice to know that I'm perfectly capable of maneuvering the thing by myself. Of course, it also made the frustration very clear to me - I could stand up and move to the side when the wheelchair got taken over the ridge, but I couldn't have done it by myself.

On to the actual LARP. Rachael didn't actually kill Kevin [Dave Sharpe], evil son-murdering bastard that he is. Sadly, he's known her long enough that he knows just what to say to get to her. Although, he's lucky he wasn't around when she pulled out her shotgun in an attempt to get Lara Darken [Gill] to marry John-Henry [Garrick]. He was being a right pain in the ass, more specifically, he was being a threat to the family's survival and safety. So I disowned him. It turned out that he felt Gabriel [Lucas] was my favourite son and that in his absence he should attempt to take on his personality. He ended up behaving more like himself and was welcomed back into the family ... and wasn't completely enraged with his poor, dying mother. Nathan [Simon] brought Levi [Tai] to me, though someone nearly poisoned him. In the end the family was proving difficult to deal with and I very nearly gave up all hope of saving them. Most of them saw sense in the end - poor Michael [Wombat] was sent off to join Father Ezekiel [Mike] in negotiating with the city's army. Hopefully he won't die. At the end of the LARP John-Henry took me home. Nathan and Levi will come to collect us when it's time to head off into the fringes, where it's safe.

Sunday was the debriefing, but I wasn't there so I don't really know what happened. Button and I headed up the west coast with a bunch of archaeologists and interested persons. It was very nice to see the sites that we managed to find, though I do think that as archaeologists, it's preferable to go without the interested persons, as you don't really get what you need out of the visits. It was great fun though, and we saw lots of tortoises, kudu, eland, wildebeest, zebra, ostriches, bontebok and gemsbok. When we got home, we headed down to the market. There we bought a large pile of books [how unsurprising] and performed the heartbreaking, but necessary, task of purchasing a walking stick. In the evening, there was chemistry and mending...

2 comments:

H* said...

I prefer the word 'cane'. It has more style. It says sword cane and ivory and rodent skull with rubies for eyes.

akika said...

I'm glad you mentioned it - I forgot to say that I saw some sword canes at the Green Point Craft Market - similar to Mike's, actually, which is how I knew they were sword canes before the guy showed us in all his dramatic glory. Didn't come close to Mike though.