Tuesday, 04 September 2007

it all starts with Cthulhu

I expected to go home last night, and do some chemistry in preparation for today's practical. That didn't happen. Some archaeologists from Toronto were in town and Button happened to know the guy in charge as he'd been MC's student once. So Button was tasked with organising a dinner for MC, his 4 students, DB and his wife and Button and I. It worked out very nicely in the end - we went to Limoncello, a lovely Italian place in Gardens. I had the same thing I had last time - their ravioli of the day, both times a divine lamb ravioli in creamy mushroom sauce. I had it for breakfast this morning too :)

Anyway, dinner was great, not least because it's always fun to sit around and chat with a bunch of archaeologists. The students were interested in finding out about UCT - possibly to do post-grad stuff here. The one is busy with her masters and the other three are finishing up their undergrads. I have some interest in Toronto, though I'm not entirely sure that it is the right place for what I'm interested in. I also found one of them [the masters student, actually] shared a number of non-archaeological interests with me and we chatted for ages. It all started when DLG and I were talking about tutoring [TAing to them] - she mentioned some guy who was trying to explain [and failing miserably] how he'd go about excavating the underwater ... lair[?] of Cthulhu. Which of course led to a discussion on more general interesting topics... It's always exciting to find someone that crosses over your two [usually mutually exclusive] areas of interest.

In other news, it's been a while since I've had lectures and I've forgotten about what it's like to get a really good lecturer. We had our first lecture by Susan Bourne and she's utterly fantastic. Aside from that, there's not much more to say. I'm going to get down on my knees and beg JL to weld the plug to the cylinder so it works properly ... or at least doesn't fall apart. I hope.

No comments: