Thursday, 05 July 2007

I'm so excited!

Yay! This morning I am going to be centrifuging my samples! It's so exciting! Well, I suppose it's only the one sample. Which I probably should have weighed before now, but we'll manage. IN and I are off to the MCB building at 11ish to meet MC, the woman in charge. She's going to help us get started and hopefully it will all go well. I'll be sure to let you know...

Yesterday WK had a look at my interesting maxilla and told me that it was not actually a deciduous tooth, this guy [or girl] just had an extra tooth. Apparently she's had a couple of those previously. Otherwise, not much else interesting happened. We had two lots of kids [little kids!] coming through to look at human remains. The first was a man who had discovered a skeleton in his garden, while having a trench dug. That was excavated and is now at the museum. So he brought his daughters in to look around and see what happens and so on... They were between 7 & 10 years old. Later on two women came with four kids for the same thing, except the oldest child here was about 5! I'm all for educating children, but surely when it comes to something like this, it's better to wait until they're older? I don't know - how much can a two year old understand about some bones? Can it really understand that this was an actual living human being? And what about a child that's slightly older, who does understand that they're looking at human remains? How does it affect them? I guess at the end of the day, every child is different and the parents probably have the best idea of what their children can cope with, but if it was up to me, I'd wait till they were at least 10 or older, to make sure that they can understand what we do and why we do it.

Despite telling myself that I wouldn't go to yoga last night 'cause I just wasn't in the mood... I did. And I'm so glad I did. I knew that it would be Etienne taking the class, which I was dreading, 'cause the last time he took it, I didn't enjoy it. It turns out that it was exactly what I needed and I was left in a happy place.

This morning I came in on the shuttle with AM, who is a wonderful person, despite being Australian. He has a wonderful girlfriend AW, but she's not with him this time. I saw him yesterday at the museum and so was surprised that he was coming in to UCT this morning, but apparently he's got so many rocks to look at from all over and only 4 more weeks to do it in, that he's following some sort of hectic schedule and since SW isn't at the museum much this week, he's going to do a long stretch next week and spend some more time with the UCT collection for now...

No comments: