Monday, 07 May 2007

Come on in and wear your welcome out

Those of you who come by whenever I can be bothered to write stuff [and those of you who I know read it through feeds] will be aware of certain medical problems that have been plaguing me of late.
So, I have a diagnosis now - Psoriatic Arthritis. Psoriasis is an auto-immune disease that affects the skin. It appears similar to eczema, though without the blistering and cracking. About 5% - 30% of people with Psoriasis get PA. There are five different types of PA and I have the symmetrical type - the one most likely to affect women and the one that appears similar to rheumatoid arthritis. There are a couple of good websites - the Mayo Clinic, the National Psoriasis Foundation in the US and my doctor's website.
Let me just say right now - it's not as bad as it could be [or might get]. If you do a google image search [which I don't recommend for the squeamish, myself included], you will quickly realise that I'm nowhere near as bad as that yet.

If there's anything you want to know, ask... I know there's quite a lot of information I'm leaving out here. While I'm coping admirably, it's still a little difficult to wrap one's brain aroudn the fact that one has gone from 'oh, my joints are a bit sore...' to 'I have a chronic incurable disease'.

Anyway, Button and I went shopping on Saturday. We bought some ice packs [cold to numb the pain] and a heating pad [so wonderful!]... while there I had a phone call from my poor sister. She'd spoken to my mother who had completely forgotten who she was talking to [apparently] and made the mistake of telling her things like the worst that could happen is that I might end up in a wheelchair. Well, yes, but not anytime soon! She told her that I might need to take immune-system-suppressants. Yes, I might. But there are a number of other treatment steps before that - and it might never get to that! So my poor sister was in an absolute panic [it appears that my family is particularly prone to that sort of thing]... But I think she's feeling better now.

Button also bought me a very pretty pill-keeping thing. Which is much less scary than the bottles and boxes and so on... I'm not good with pills, however I did manage to swallow four out of five last night! I'm very proud of myself [and you should be too]. The only one I haven't managed is the excessively enormous salmon oil one [apparently it's a natural anti-inflammatory, as well as Omega-3 being very good for me]... why must it be the size of a rugby ball, I ask you?

Anyway, the medicines are taking effect, as I am feeling much better this morning...

Oh, and happy birthday to David [Blake]. Sorry I never got back to you about the Miller's thing - I'm sure you'll understand that I was a little distracted.

1 comment:

Duncan said...

Hi! I don't really know what to say, other than... wow, that sucks. I hope it doesn't get as bad as it can possibly get. You will learn to deal with it better than you are currently dealing with it, once the shock is over (from my experience).
I'll always be there for you if you need me.

Duncan